Saturday, May 13, 2006

They like it warm....









... just like us.

I wonder what that means?

Before that, let me tell you how it started.

So far, I have successfully gone through the first two days with my kittens. These two days were not without problems. In fact, some things came up that made me worried quite badly. Yesterday MiuMiu didn't want to eat at all during the day. Not even when I offered the food on my fingers like I did the day before. I was so worried that she won't gain any weight in this very important growth phase.

Turned my head around, upside down, inside out. What should I do to make her attracted to FOOD? I think giving her liquid food would be a good idea. Afterall, she's been behaving like a baby looking for her mum.

Went to the pet store, bought a jar of powdered milk replacer, then prepared the formula for MiuMiu and Sneezey by mixing it with warm water. And voila! They sniffed it, touched it with their white noses, and.. lick it. Eating the milk replacer!! Yay! Felt like I've accomplished something.

Nonetheless, something's missing. They still won't touch their solid foods, both wet and dry. And it's causing their feces to be extremely soft [no way I didn't touch it, just observed it!] What should I do to attract them to eat their solid foods that are waiting for them in the seemingly polished stainless steel, no-spill, bowls?

I brought my troubled mind to sleep.

In the morning, I remember I had an ephiphany. I should warm the food fisrt before serving it!
When left outside too long, the wet food became crusty on the surface. And I betcha cats don't like it!

So, trying to think like cats in the human way...
If I like my food warm, cats should like it too. Besides, they drank the milk replacer while it was lukewarm.

I got out of my bed, greeted the kittens, then grabbed their wet food and popped it into the microwave. A nice bowl of warm fishy breakfast. Yummy for cats! And ow YES, they ate it!!!!

Anyhow, I'm still a bit down because they didn't even finish a tablespoonful of wet food.
Do kittens of 5 weeks eat that little or they are just losing their appetite?
How often are they supposed to eat and how much?
What should their feces look like?
How do normal and healthy kittens behave?

I wish I could ask these questions and get a precise answer. I hate researching, I just need to talk to an expert and get a response immediately. I guess I have to do my research anyway.

All these problems aside, they are still quite active, especially Sneezey. She's a tad bigger than MiuMiu.

Sshh.. Mr. W is here and both kittens are sleeping soundly on his legs. Feels like I have three kittens in the house. ;)



Hulaa... :D

5 Comments:

Blogger Cazzie!!! said...

MY 4 year old daughter loved these pictures I found here on your blog randomly...she said, "Awww arent they cute!" I have to agree.

2:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hula =)

11:26 AM  
Blogger jasmine said...

If you need help with things--advice etc--drop me a line. Between the exbf and I, we've been owned by and have tamed somewhere in the neighbourhood of 30 kittens. He's an ex farm boy and we both have had mummy cats prefer to have kittens in our yards....

j

5:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ow, they are absolutely gorgeous. I love the name MiuMiu. So cute.

4:50 AM  
Blogger little pomelo said...

Everyone,
Thank you so much for dropping by and leaving comments. I am sorry if I seem to have ignored this blog (and the other one) for so long. These kittens are keeping me super busy in addition to school! I hope everything works out well.

Special Thanks to Jasmine,
for the prompt reply of my questions. I didn't have time to reply again. But I still have a lot of things to figure out about these felines!

1:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home